Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Low cost housing

I got a bit carried away on the groined vault house, it was not my initial intention to build something so complicated. Yep, I was trying to show off.

My first and long term mission was to experiment with low cost housing options and produce a low cost house for lower income people that is cheaper than current houses, comfortable, sustainable, smaller environmental impact, and beautiful.

Saturday we have 30 women coming to see the first vaulted house we made. Monica Caspary has a project where she helps women to obtain their own house on a long mortgage. We want to see if they will go for this type of house.








It was our first vault and not meant to be a house. We used under burnt rejected bricks and took about 10 attempts before it started to go like this.


We don't incline them anymore.




So we see what happens.

6 comments:

  1. Eric, that is an awesome Cantenary arch! I would love to work beside you guys on one of these homes. Now, if could you work an oculus into that design that would be sick!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you come we do something bigger than a small home. We build the performing arts center of Arusha.

    I had to google oculus. Yeah those catenary vaults could use that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work! I want to do this sometime. It my plan to work on my kiln over the summer. I will post my progress for you to see. Boy am I happy to have came across your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is mutual man. Keep documenting, one day someone finds it useful. 20 years ago I only could rely upon local memory.

      Delete
  4. I like your vision , Great work keep it up !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I realize politics is where real change can happen. You have a good vision and are the future.

      Delete